Sunday, December 27, 2020

Personal Update #3 : Hobbies and Leisure

 


I was able to squeeze in a little bit of computer gaming this holiday season, which is quite unusual given my schedule. But I really wanted to feel what it is like to play a game again.

The game I chose was called Solasta: Crown of the Magister, it is the computer game that best approximates the D&D 5e tabletop RPG experience so the learning curve will not be steep at all for experienced TRPGers. I chose this over rival game Baldur's Gate 3 because Baldur's Gate was given much more leeway to deviate from the original game.

Now here's the thing that annoys me about games these days - game companies like to sell games before they are ready for proper gameplay! I paid $30 for early access and it promises just 10 - 15 hours of gameplay. 

I was initially expecting the game to be full of bugs like Cyberpunk 2077, but the gameplay just blew me away and I find some of the tricks I pulled in the RPG like stacking multiple smites available in actual gameplay. The game even went further to offer archetypes that are unavailable in the original RPG like a Paladin Oath that can cast Scorching Ray and Fireball. 

So the opposite thing occurred - I wound up getting even more disappointed as I levelled my party up to 6th level and realise that I can't advance the game any further. 

( This is the stage where my cleric developed the ability to cast Spirit Guardians which is the MVP spell in the entire game! ) 

I guess I can probably play about 2-3 hours to advance my party every time the developers write a new patch for the software. 

If you are looking for a first-class turn-based RPG game, do keep Solasta in mind. That's provided developers don't quit and abandon the project before the game is complete.

Anyway, if you are disappointed at the lack of investment content, I just submitted a more serious article to the Dr. Wealth blog. It should up in a few days time.   


No comments:

Post a Comment