Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Update on my crypto positions

 


I have written several crypto articles on this blog over the past year. You can find them here and here.

This morning, as ETH hit over $4,000, I decided to exit all positions in ETH as I've managed to derive a significant amount of returns since I have a leveraged position in ETH in Compound V2. I clumsily closed my leveraged positions since I owed some DAI, then moved the ETH off-ramp on the Gemini exchange and converted the money to SGD. The losses from transaction fees were high, and I lost about $1k in the process, but the money is safely back in my bank account in SGD, and I made some excess funds for my trouble.

When the Terra Luna ecosystem broke down, I could round up some spare change to buy LUNC when it was selling for around $0.000027. You can find a historical record of my thought processes then here. While LUNC is now trading at about 7x my original value, I have previously farmed my LUNC and UST into the Mirror protocol and took in as much spare LUNC and USTC that it could spin off. I currently have about $8,000+ in the Terra ecosystem, but my money is not mobile, as I need 21 days to unstake most of my LUNC.

As far as I was concerned, while I was now sitting on some gains, the most enormous damage I suffered at that time was the effort lost in designing a cryptocurrency course. I can now escape with my course fees and some extra pocket money for the March holidays while keeping my millions of LUNA classics as funny money in the improbable event of a re-pegging of USTC.

As for where the funds are now, I've farmed it into the portfolio I manage under the All-Weather Portfolio, where just 8% is put into GBTC and ETHE. ETFs will be how I will take a position in crypto. There is now a more systemic approach to shift the funds out of crypto when the momentum slows down and becomes overtaken by another asset class. 

Here are some of the thoughts I have about cryptocurrency investing:

  • I still think I left ETH early, but I am uncomfortable about some Dua Kang Cryptobros returning on the forums. They can have all the fun getting rich. 
  • The gas fees in the ETH ecosystem are brutal in a bull market. This will force many investors to trade ETFs as trading fees are lower, and there is no need to manage wallets. 
  • The regulatory regime is also tighter, and I can't withdraw my funds from Coinbase as DBS keeps flagging an error when I try depositing $1 to link it to the exchange. I off-ramped my funds in Geminii and lost a lot to transaction fees. 
  • There's plenty of money to be made from regulatory arbitrage. As crypto ETFs slowly get approved, you can take positions to exploit the upswing. There's no real need to buy crypto and store it in your wallet anymore. A brokerage will do, but you must be an AI and enable complex leveraged products.

Finally, I currently have about $8,000+ in LUNC and USTC, but I am already sitting on fairly substantial gains. If the price remains high in 21 days, I might liquidate and farm the funds into the next LUNA-like investment. 

The closest trading idea I have is Keppel Pacific Oak REIT. It stopped paying dividends but still has a high tenancy rate. This could be a multi-bagger, but you must be patient and hold it until 2026. The odds of dividends returning from KORE are higher than USTC pegging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment